Fundamental principles of next-generation sequencing
Speaker: Dr. Joshua B. Gross
Workshop Date: October 15th
8:00am to 11:30am
- Workshop Introduction
- Performing a de novo versus a template assembly
- Mapping reads from an RNA-seq project
12:00pm to 2:00pm – Lunch
2:00pm to 5:00pm
- Generating and analyzing a SNP Report
- Annotating a transcriptome using Blast2GO
- The fundamentals of DNA and protein sequence analysis
Tentative Workshop Components
- A Guide to Free Resources: for performing and analyzing next-generation sequencing datasets.
- Applications and Uses: of next-generation sequencing technology. For example a) RNA-sequencing, b) phylogenetic studies, c) GWAS.
- Scientific talk: An example of the use of next-generation sequencing as illustrated with a published research paper (Gross et al., 2013)
- Glossary: terms to know for NGS studies.